Saturday, May 27, 2006

Last Day in Ann Arbor

ANN ARBOR-I am writing this at 2:55 am Evanston time Saturday morning...it has been one of the longest days of my life and one of the best at the same time...it is surely a day I will remember for a long time.

I got up this morning at 9:30 ET and started to get ready for the day...I ate breakfast with Tim Stoddard, NU's Pitching Coach and Ron Klein, NU's First Base Coach. They told me that this was going to be a long day because of all the rain that had fallen and boy were they right. We got to the stadium at 11:15 ET and watched the end of the Minnesota-Michigan game (Gophers won 6-2) and didn't leave until 7:30 ET...yikes...

After chatting it up with Coach Stevens, Julio Siberio (who is part Cuban...which is awesome...) Chris Boyer of the AD and Aaron Bongle, the 'Cats took the field. I don't know what it was, but something was telling me that the game against Purdue would not be the last for the NU team. The game got underway and Kontos recorded the last out around 4:30 ET. It was a great feeling to see the 'Cats pull out the win.

The next game wasn't so enjoyable, but it was special for me as well. It was the last time I would be on the air as a play by play man as this is my final year here at Northwestern. It has been a great four years and WNUR has given me memories that I will never forget. I would like to thank the station for giving me so many opportunities, my parents and grandparents for listening to almost everygame I ever broadcasted and my fellow staff members. You guys are just awesome.

The team bus left Ann Arbor at 9:30 pm ET and we arrived back in Evanston at 3 am ET. It was a great trip and a great day. It was an honor to cover the team out in Ann Arbor and I wish them the best of luck next year and the years to come.

GO 'CATS!!!

No comments: