Thursday, May 25, 2006

Blast from the Past

ANN ARBOR-Hey Wildcat Baseball fans...Hey what? I am glad you asked...

Does the name Robert K. Rauth ring any bells? If it doesn't, then aren't you glad I'm gonna tell you. I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Rauth before the NU-OSU game this afternoon. He was a member of the Northwestern Wildcat baseball team back from 1956-1959. In his freshman year season, 1957, Northwestern won the Big Ten title...it was the last time NU won a title in baseball, yep back when Dwight D. Eisenhower was president.

I chatted with him for a good 20-25 minutes and I must say, he is one of the nicest people I have ever met. Boy does he love Wildcat sports. Not just baseball, but all sports. We talked about the softball team, the lacrosse team, the football team and everything in between. The Detroit Tigers and Chicago White Sox also came into the conversation, but we all know who's going to win that race...

After we talked for a while, Head Coach Paul Stevens (one of the greatest interviews at NU...great guy...) came over and talked with us about playing golf at his annual golf tournament. Apparently Coach Stevens is not just a solid baseball coach, he is an avid golfer.

Because I was so impressed with the dedication that Mr. Rauth shows to NU Athletics, I invited him to join me up in the booth tomorrow afternoon. I am sure he will tell the stories he told me and more tomorrow on WNUR. Be sure to tune in!!

GO 'CATS!!!

No comments: