Thursday, May 12, 2005

Travel Day Stampede!

If there’s something better than riding a bus through Michigan watching Geena Davis turn in one of the greatest acting performances in history, I’d like to know what it is.

Well, besides that. Obviously that’s better.

I’m quite impressed by the attitude around this softball team. Sure, as working media we regularly cover the team, but it’s only in the postseason that we join them on the bus – and it’s amazing how relaxed the team appears heading into a do-or-die tournament.

Our presence also gives them a scapegoat – I certainly don’t know who’s joking and who isn’t.

Since this is a blog, I feel compelled to whine about my personal life. After consuming several “alternative” beverages on Tuesday night, I spent the 3 AM hour in the quarters of a colleague desperately seeking advice on the pursuit of a certain – what do you mean, talk about softball?

It’s surprising how familiar this all seems. For the second year in a row, I’m in Ann Arbor for the Big Ten Tournament and watching playoff basketball on TNT in the hotel room. For the second year in a row, we’re expecting thunderstorms during all three days of the tournament and wiffleball games in the UM fieldhouse. For the second year in a row I’m submitting senseless, rambling internet columns.

Why don’t we do this for football? Oh, right: this trip is actually interesting.

I have to say, the shrimp and pasta alfredo at Chili’s is magnificent. Not as good as that you’d get at a seafood restaurant, of course, but you can’t win ‘em all.

Choice: Family Guy, The Daily Show, or the Late Show with David Letterman? Harder than it sounds.

Anyway, I’ve run out of topics. We’ll be back tomorrow pending the outcome of the Purdue game.

Rain delay, ahoy!

No comments: